Monday, March 12, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath 1

By now I'm sure you've noticed something unique about the structure of this novel. Steinbeck seems to be employing a bit of a "zoom out-zoom in" technique in alternating his chapters. Comment on the structure of the novel to this point.

Responses should be at least 200 words in length and are due by 11:59 PM EST on Sunday, 18 March.

Have Fun!

18 comments:

BriannaH said...

I think that the structure of The Grapes of Wrath is unique in the way that it keeps the readers interested. I find that when I read a book I am enveloped in the story of each character and the dialogue begins to take control of the way you think of the book. The structure of this novel is different than any other novel I’ve read. The way Steinbeck takes the reader out of Tom Joad’s life is, for me, another way of viewing the characters. When the story moves out I feel like I’m being placed them in another aspect of Tom Joad’s life but without his thoughts. The story of the Great Depression has many parts because it affected so many people so I think that the way Steinbeck set it up, breaks up the story just right. I feel that every time the story moves out I’m given more information on what life was really like during the depression. It keeps my view unbiased. The “move out” sequences are my favorite parts of the book. I understand more about the lives of those who lived through the depression because of his writing style. I like the way that this is set up and I believe that it only adds to the novel as a whole.

Sarah C said...

The structure of the Grapes of Wrath is very different than any other book we've read. It gives us the big picture before focusing on a smaller section of that big picture. In my opinion I think this style of writing is beneficial. I enjoy it because it separates the reading in a way. It gives a sort of background information before "zooming in" to what is happening in specific families everywhere during these times. I also feel that the chapters in which Steinbeck describes one main idea are actually very significant. There was a whole chapter dedicated to a turtle that one may see as unimportant but based on our discussion in class on the turtle, we've developed an idea that the turtle symbolizes something more. The chapter on the car salesmen was really intriguing because not only are you focused on one subject, you are getting a different view into the hardships of those times. Often we always hear of the victims during the Great Depression. We never see the point of view that the other side has. It's almost like the archetypal theory where there has to be something (not necessarily evil) to compare something "good" to. I feel like Steinbeck displays this by the way he structures his novel.

Megan T said...

I am enjoying Steinbeck’s style of writing thus far. By first painting a larger, broader picture of a specific part of human nature, and then focusing in on some individuals who exhibit that particular aspect, Steinbeck is able to help his readers better understand the points he is trying to make. I think that by using this “zoom in, zoom out” technique, Steinbeck is able to help us understand not only the characters that he has chosen to write about, but also society as a whole in the post-Depression era. I appreciate this, because I think that sometimes, authors don’t consider the reader when they write. I can say the exact opposite for Steinbeck after reading just a few chapters of the book. Steinbeck does not get lost in an unrealistic storyline, but rather, keeps every word he writes truthful and accurate to the time period. It seems that through his novel, Steinbeck does not simply want to tell the tale of just a few individuals. Rather, he strives to shed light on the people of this time and the struggles they face. I appreciate this about Steinbeck because I believe that it becomes increasingly difficult to understand the past as times progress. By writing this novel, Steinbeck keeps a part of the past alive. Even today, we are left talking about Steinbeck’s style of writing because it is so incredibly unique. It has kept us thinking about and discussing the past, and this is truly admirable.

Jordan H said...

The structure that Steinbeck utilizes is very interesting, and aside from mere aesthetics, it serves an integral function in elucidating the overall meaning of the work.
What often occurs in powerful works, is a substantial look at a specific situation, concerning very specific characters, locations etc. However, the intention of those stories is almost always to shed light on a greater issue. For example, consider The Awakening. On the face of it, the novella is the tale of Edna Pontellier, a woman who becomes self-aware, and refuses to be denied the desires in her heart. But then considering the larger theme of the work there are questions raised as to the role of woman, and absolute morality. By utilizing a type of frame technique, John Steinbeck gives the reader direct glimpses at the larger issue. He more directly raises the questions that surround the issue, which is centrally the Exodus to California, morality, and responsibility in pressing economic times. Nebulous characters in the "large frame", sections are abstracts of different types of people, meant to reveal the potential mental processes of different groups.
Ultimately Steinbeck's "frame" technique helps to grant more direct insight into the issues he wishes to illuminate, instead of leaving it almost entirely to inferences by the reader. While to some this technique might be unnecessary, I feel that it adds both to the beauty and the meaning of the work. The issues faced by the characters in either frame are universal; and that is true even to the extent that they affect us today.

sarahirene said...

Steinbeck’s structural set-up of this novel most definitely adds to the charisma of the story. When Steinbeck “zooms in” to important details, this further establishes the characters and ensures that the readers are able to understand the plot of the novel. However, the portions of the novel that “zoom out” assist the reader with getting immersed in the whole of society during this time period. I feel that this combination of perspectives allows the reader to examine the setting and dialect in a way that would not be readily provided with any other sort of structural arrangement.

This “zoom in and zoom out” technique also allows the reader to make a closer connection to the characters presented throughout the novel. For instance, readers can infer that some of the people getting cheated out of their money at the car dealership could be related to characters introduced earlier in the story. I personally felt that one of the families mentioned was the Joad family, because it was made mention that some families that lost their farm are trying their luck by earning money fast picking cotton and then purchasing a car to head out West. Because of this, as a reader I felt outraged when reading the used car salesman passage. I also developed an association with the characters during a “zoom in” passage, when Tom Joad and Jim Casy were having a discussion on the subject of religion. Jim Casy’s “wise fool” commentary parallels with many of my own beliefs, which allows me to harbor a great sense of respect for some of his personal beliefs. Overall, I feel that Steinbeck was ingenious with the structural formation of this novel.

Amanda Lewis said...

Steinbeck's style of writing is very unique. At first the "zoom in/ zoom out" technique confused me since I thought it was all part of the same plot line. The style took some getting used to, but now I think it provides more insight into the time period and how different people reacted to the difficulties of the time period. This is a good method because we are allowed to have a set of characters that we can follow and learn about their personal lives. Then we get to see the big picture and get a "behind the scenes" look at what went on during the Great Depression.

I really enjoy that we have a set of characters that we can connect to. It's necessary to have an emotional connection to the people in a story in order to keep interest. Through these characters, perhaps the author can speak about some of his own personal beliefs (especially through Casy). Then in the "zoom out", Steinbeck may try to reveal what he sees is really going on in the time period. Through this method he can try to reveal corruption (an example of this can be seen in chapter seven), and he can speak about how many people dealt with the difficult times.

Sarah Mye said...

Steinbeck uses a unique structure in this novel when he “zooms in” on the characters of his story and then “zooms out” to the big picture of what is going on in the country during the time when the characters are facing their problems. I think chapter three is a good example of the big picture. In chapter three, a turtle has is heading somewhere but things keep getting in his way, and every time he is knocked down, he gets back up and goes on his way again. The turtle is in this novel is used to symbolize the farmers. Later when the novel is zoomed back into the story we learn that the tenant farmers are losing their land to the bank. They do everything they can to fight against the farmers and want to know “who can we shoot?” All they can do is get up and find a better place to live where they can survive. We learn that the turtle is heading west because every time the turtle gets away from Joad, he starts heading west. The farmers end up heading west also along with a lot of other people in the country to look for a better life. I like how Steinbeck uses this technique because not only do you know how certain characters are feeling during this time, you get a good feel for everything that is going on during that time period and what people would do to survive.

LauraLye said...

To me, the structure that Steinbeck uses gives the reader two different perspectives in a way. In my opinion, or the way I perceive it, is that the reader gets the “up close” and personal point of view of Tom Joad or another person living through the effects of the dust bowl in the 1930’s in the first style of narration. Then, the reader is also exposed to a more “generic” point of view, where there is no set dialogue, just conversation through a kind of paragraph form. This is very interesting and could be symbolic of something. To me, this could be Steinbeck’s way of showing the broad spectrum of people that the events of the dust bowl affected in this time period. The way Steinbeck builds the characters in this more generalized section of narration to have less dialogue and less background, it gives the sense that no matter who you are, whatever type of person or character you are, you were affected by the hard times in which this novel takes place. Almost the same way that some authors leave that setting of a novel unnamed to add depth, mystery, or intrigue. The structure of the novel definitely adds intrigue and provides insight into the happenings of the time period of the novel.

EthanS said...

In the Grapes of Wrath, it would seem that Steinbeck set about the extremely difficult task of representing a situation that the entire country faced in a single story. This would ordinarily be impossible, but Steinbeck chose to use a sort of “zoom in zoom out” method of storytelling. By showing what goes on in the country as a whole and then showing what happens in Joad’s life, the reader is able to make more connections between one man’s life and the life that everyone else in the country is facing at the same time. It is in this way that Steinbeck gives a voice to all of the people during this time period who have no voice. The story of Tom Joad and his struggles (at least thus far) is actually something that could have been truly possible in this time period. The way Steinbeck shows this to us is by zooming out and highlighting something else that is unrelated to Joad, but still supports his story. A perfect example is when the turtle. Even the turtle is struggling to get by in the world when we are first introduced to him in the zoom out. We then see the way that everyone in the story seems to be struggling and moving westward. We then even see the turtle trying to move west. Everything in going on the country is simply trying to survive. Steinbeck’s zoom in and zoom out really does an excellent job of showing that.

Tony M said...

In Steinbeck’s novel he has so far been employing a style which provides an interesting relief and unique transition in the story. By switching to a different short story of sorts he creates an intriguing and usually quite meaningful aside between aspects of the main plot. To me, the best part about these seemingly unrelated segments is that you’ll read it and perhaps be a little perplexed why you just learned about the life of a turtle, but then in the following chapter you’ll see it come up in a sentence or paragraph and have a sort of “Aha!” moment. Usually, I find that when an author jumps between two different stories I end up preferring one and then forcing myself through the alternate. This isn’t the case with Steinbeck because they’re all different stories next to the main, yet all serve a purpose to it whether directly or just setting a tone for the next segment. For myself, I don’t yet find Tom Joad’s story particularly involving but these short pieces bring some variety. Steinbeck also seems to take the opportunity to try different styles of writing such as the short, repetitive, relentless, yet enjoyable chapter about the car salesman. Each chapter, I find myself wondering what will come next and how the most recent “zoom in” or “zoom out” will come into play.

Julie F said...

The “zoom out-zoom in” technique that Steinbeck has employed throughout the chapters offer the reader a very holistic image of society. The “zoom out” chapters are not necessary to follow Joad’s personal journey; the plot would survive just fine without them. Yet, had the “zoom out” chapters not been included, The Grapes of Wrath would be a very different story. Noting this, I believe that through the “zoom out” chapters the novel becomes more than a work of a fiction, but a social commentary – a platform on which to express a greater truth. I also think this a big reason why The Grapes of Wrath is considered timeless. Because of its structure, a person does not need any prior knowledge about the era in order to understand exactly the situation the characters are facing or appreciate their struggle.


Because we have frequently discussed the idea of perspective in our Socratics, I also think that it is important to note that “zooming in” and “zooming out” is all based off of perspective as well. A look at the tenant farmers may be “zoomed in” when compared to American society as a whole, but it is “zoomed out” when compared to the life of the bug crawling beneath their feet. You can always zoom out, or zoom in, just a little bit further, can’t you?

MadelineK said...

John Steinbeck’s use of the “zoom out-zoom in” technique alternating between chapters throughout The Grapes of Wrath gives the reader a unique perspective as to what is going on not only with one person, but what is happening to a whole group of people during this time. I think that this provides an interesting way to give the reader more insight into what was actually happening and provides them with a greater background on the subject. It allows for the reader to grasp the story, but really get a feel for this era in history as well. Steinbeck does this without wavering from the plot, and it reinforces his arguments. The way it is set up also gives a sense of unity to the novel. By doing this, the story stays truthful to what was actually happening while giving the reader a main character to empathize with and follow to the end. They are able to make connections with the characters while learning of the plight of the larger group.
This “zoom out-zoom in” idea is very applicable to life in general. On a large scale, one group of people may be trying to overcome the same exact problem. However, when one zooms in on each individual person, one can see that they all deal with the problem in different ways or allow it to affect them to different degrees. One gains two perspectives that are quite different from each other when seeing it like this. Steinbeck is trying to give the widest perspective as possible in The Grapes of Wrath by doing just that.

Sarah Foss said...

At first Steinbeck's technique was a little frustrating, and I really didn’t enjoy it. Just as you get focused on Tom Joad’s story, the next chapter shifts and you look at the bigger picture, not just Tom. However, as I read on further I find find myself enjoying the shift more and more. It’s an effectively unique writing style. Steinbeck allows you to see the narrow version of the Dust Bowl through the single viewpoint of Tom, but at the same time you see the Dust Bowl from a larger scale, in a bigger way. Cleverly, this style also incites suspense. When you switch from the “zoom in” to the “zoom out”, you are taken from Tom’s story to the bigger picture and that leaves you wondering about Tom. I think that this is a fabulous way to keep the reader interested. This technique keeps the reader interested by building the suspense. The way that Steinbeck uses this style also helps to create sympathy for the victims of the Dust Bowl. It creates appreciation for what the people in the Dust Bowl suffered. Steinbeck’s technique made me think of perspective as we seem to always discuss perspective. It seems that life is based on perspective, the way you see things. I think its interesting that Steinbeck allows you to see through two view points and not just one.

Emily June said...

In the novel The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck allows the reader to experience a more universal view of America during the Dust Bowl as well as the story of the protagonist. In fact, the universal view unsurprisingly helps the reader better comprehend the protagonist’s affliction. He does this with a “zoom out-zoom in” style of writing. Steinbeck alternates the main story line with a broader, more general narrative between chapters. Other than being slightly jarring, this structure is very effective in immersing the reader into the lives of the Dust Bowl generation. For example, at the end of chapter four, Joad finds his childhood home deserted and his family mysteriously gone. Chapter five then “zooms out” and tells how the owners of the land took the land away from the farmers. These chapters are brilliantly paired because chapter five explains the mystery in chapter four without specifically referring to Joad’s family. The reader is then able to conclude that what happened to Joad’s family happened to many other families during the Dust Bowl. Another example can be found in chapter seven. In this chapter, Steinbeck describes the corrupt used car dealerships that take advantage of the many families in their “exodus” to California. This also presents another trial that the Joad family had to face. Yet again Steinbeck presents this in a way that makes it clear that the Joad family’s experience is not unique but very common. This serves to reveal Steinbeck’s version of the affects of the Dust Bowl on American families.

Kelly Bradley said...

In Grapes of Wrath written by John Steinbeck, the readers get a great deal of insight through his “zoom-in zoom-out” style of writing. It may make it a little harder to comprehend, but overall I think it helps us realize the effect on a single person versus an entire community. But what makes it interesting is that we never know what the other person is thinking. For example, when we are in Tom’s perspective, we don’t know how the community feels and vice versa. So as you’re reading you kind of wonder to yourself how the other people are doing. Also, seeing it from the “zoom-out” perspective makes it not such a bias novel. Seeing it from Tom’s view, we get his own opinion about the Dust Bowl. It’s nice seeing a more valid explanation, because when readers see how an entire community is reacting to such a tragedy, it seems a lot more realistic and truthful. But seeing how it affected an individual makes me curious as to know how I would react if I was in that situation. I think I like Tom’s perspective a little bit more than the overall community because it’s more personable. We see how a single person is suffering, and trying to make ends meet after such a horrible event. Steinbeck does such a great job at making sure the readers know what is actually going on, and the Grapes of Wrath is a story that really makes us wonder how great we have it today.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy this style of writing, but sometimes when he “zooms out” I have difficulty understanding the content because of the lack of traditional formatting. I also feel distracted from the original plot when he adds other characters into the mix. Other than that I believe that Steinbeck’s use of the technique is very well done especially when he makes the book seem cinematic. He uses imagery in a such a way that the audience can almost feel the sun, sand, etc. I like this because when he “zooms in” the feelings are still there and I have a better understanding of the situation, sometimes even better than the characters themselves. When the used car dealership was described and then Tom Joad senior mentioned that he bought the junky car for seventy-five dollars, and how much that hurt the family, I was able to understand a little more about that situation with the extra insight. I thought that without the insight into the used car dealership that I would not understand the significance of the seventy-five dollars. I would not have taken that as another time when they had something stolen from them, I would have just thought of them as more destitute. Overall the style helps make the story whole, especially for people who have not lived during this era.

Cindy said...

The "zoom out-zoom in" technique that Steinbeck uses throughout the novel, The Grapes of Wrath, is vital to the interpretation the reader has of the novel. By showing the entire picture, the reader is given an overall sense of the novel. They are able to see how the everyone is affected by the depression, even a turtle. By being able to see the entire picture, the reader is able to trust the narrator more. Often, it is difficult to believe everything the narrator says when the novel is from a single point of view, giving The Grapes of Wrath more credibility. The multiple perspectives also allow the reader to see how many of the character's hardships are also faced by others. For example, Tom Joad is shown to have many economic hardships, but by being able to see the entire picture, it is proven that he is not alone. In chapter seven, it is shown just how desperate everyone is to make as much money as possible, even if that hurts those around them. This could also impact the theme of the novel as it will be more fit to all of humanity, not just Tom Joad's situation. The structure of the novel truly allows the reader to see both the impacts of the hard times on society, along with its further impact on single individuals. I especially enjoy this structure because it seems to make the novel more interesting as it is focused on so many aspects of that time.

Amber said...

To be honest I wasn’t a huge fan of the “zoom-in, zoom-out” structure used by Steinbeck in Grapes of Wrath. I just couldn’t get used to it while reading this novella on my own. However, once we met with our Lit Circle Groups, it became very clear the true purpose of this writing technique. The “zoom-in” shows the life of the Joad family, people around them, and their personal troubles through the tough times lived through the Great Depression. This elucidates the plot of the story, yet helps the reader connect to the characters to further understand what they are going through. The “zoom-out” gives the reader a look into the overall effect the Great Depression had on society. Although this “zoom- out” didn’t disrupt any part of the plot line, it definitely made the work more unique and more memorable as a whole. Also, like the “zoom-in,” this style helps the reader further understand the difficulties faced by the characters in this novella. For example, Steinbeck references to the men and women leaving their homes during the dust storms. They had handkerchiefs and were covering their faces so the dust wouldn’t disturb them. This and other examples show how the “zoom-in, zoom-out” writing style has made the Grape of Wrath an exceptional piece of literature and a more relatable novella to its readers.